Friday, April 14, 2006

Baseball, Volleyball and Heaven

As a kid, I didn't care much for baseball. It's the only sport I didn't start in so after two years I walked away. Actually, the third year I went to every practice just because it was where my friends were and I pitched batting practice but didn't develop the desire to start playing again. I didn't watch many Major League games, if any. I went to just a handful of high school games when my friends were playing. I just didn't care much for it. Times have changed. I have a new respect for baseball. It started when I moved to Ft. Worth and started attending some Ranger games but it really kicked in when my son decided to start playing. Now, I watch players movements to see how they throw, how they swing, their footwork or whatever else I can take away.
I've never been a fan of volleyball although I've "played" recreationally at times. Times have changed. This year my daughter started playing and I found myself watching the girls and how they approached the ball and hit the ball, the footwork and their placements and areas of responsibility on the floor. I'll probably end up watching some professional or college volleyball on TV when I can find it to learn more about it.
It's amazing how parents can get absorbed by what their kids interest are.
This weekend, my kids are participating in Leadership Training for Christ. They will be singing in a chorus and leading singing. They will be challenged in Bible Bowl and participating in puppet skits. They have been classroom teachers and given brief radio messages. It's been amazing to watch what they have done. My hope, my prayer, is that each of us will become more absorbed in knowing Christ, in living His will, in striving to know Him. I want to know what Christ is teaching me and be able to help my children apply that.
Oh, I love baseball and I'm quickly becoming a volleyball fan. I want to help my kids succeed as long as they want to play. How much more do I want to help my kids succeed in knowing Christ, in knowing His power, His majesty, His love and His mercy. My heart pounds with the desire to help them see what has taken me years to see. I want to help them find the path to Heaven and do all I can to help them attain the glory that awaits them.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Beverly and I are excited about seeing "our kids" at LTC. What a wonderful opportunity.