Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Why Is It?

Why is it that some things, some events, some conversations make no sense? I'm amazed at times by the way things can be seen and interpreted so differently. It seemingly happens all the time, at home, at work, at church, on the athletic field, in the band hall, reading a book...two or more people looking at the same thing with very different views of what they are seeing; what they are processing; what they are thinking.

It's pretty neat when you can experience two divergent views come to a middle ground of understanding. One of Covey's 7 Habits is "seek first to understand and then be understood." It's one of my favorites and one I continually try to put into practice. On the other hand, when one or both parties sees things differently and refuses to seek understanding, it can be maddening.

I get frustrated/mad/disappointed/upset/emotional when I can't reach understanding with someone. I can spend days thinking and worrying about it.

I wonder how God feels. He had one book written and it has been interpreted hundreds of different ways with people fighting over what it says. I wonder how frustrated/mad/disappointed/upset/emotional God gets as we sit here and argue over various points and wordings while people are suffering, hurting, killing and dying. (Make no mistake, I am talking to myself here.)

I can't help but wonder how God would have used me if my focus had been simply on the scriptures below.

Luke 10:26-28 (New International Version) 26"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" 27He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

John 21:17 (New International Version) 17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

I wonder how God will use me in the future as I try to keep my focus on loving God and feeding his sheep.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: