Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday

I was glad to see the Colts beat the Patriots. I was kind of glad to see the Packers shut down the Cowboys. I'm ready for college basketball.

I think the cold front is here.
_______________________________________________________

I've been reading a book titled "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan and it is painfully convicting in places, very illuminating in others. This week, I'm going to be posting some excerpts from the book that speak to me.

I've been on a journey that has caused me to explore who I am and who I should be as a Christian. There have been parts of the journey that I have enjoyed and found things I believe are pleasing to God and there have been parts where I see some holes that need to be plugged. By and large, I feel what I have grown up believing to be Christ-like living and what I believe today that I am called to be leaves a wide chasm that I need to cross. I have come to view much of my Christian life lived in safety and comfort - doing the "right things" but, looking back, not really doing what Christ did. I'll dive deeper in later posts on what I think I am called to and the distance I need to travel to get there but for now an excerpt from the book about lukewarm Christians.

Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to. They don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens - they have their savings account. The don't need God to help them - they have their retirement plan in place. They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them live - the have life figured and mapped out. They don't depend on God on a daily basis - their refrigerators are full and, for the most part, they are in good health. The truth is, their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God. Crazy Love, p. 78

The last sentence makes a great question for me to answer.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Wow! That is a convicting quote. Thanks for sharing.