Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday

I love easy blog titles.
I got to watch the Longhorns playing basketball last night on ESPNU. It was a good night.
Elvis Andrus came in 2nd in Rookie of the Year voting for the American League. Proof that the voting is biased and/or rigged.
Reports yesterday suggested Roger Staubach and Nolan Ryan were going to join Tom Hicks ownership group. I'd prefer Staubach and Ryan buying out Tom Hicks but you can't win 'em all.
_________________________________________________

Two posts from Crazy Love by Francis Chan today:

Lukewarm people are thankful for their luxuries and comforts and rarely consider trying to give as much as possible to the poor. They are quick to point out, "Jesus never said money is the root of all evil, only that the 'love' of money is." Untold numbers of lukewarm people feel "called" to minister to the rich, very few feel "called" to minister to the poor. Crazy Love p. 75

Ouch.

Lukewarm people do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty. They want to do the bare minimum, to be 'good enough' without it requiring too much of them.

They ask "How far can I go before it's considered a sin?" instead of "How can I keep myself pure as a temple of the Holy Spirit."

They ask, "How do I have to give?" instead of "How much can I give?"

They ask, "How much time should I spend praying and reading my Bible?" instead of "I wish I didn't have to go to work so I could sit here and read longer."
Crazy Love p. 76

These thoughts speak to me. They make me look inside and examine my heart. Sometimes I find answers that I believe God is pleased with. Sometimes I find answers that encourage me to change my heart and mind. All in all, I believe I have spent many years as a lukewarm Christian but I don't feel I will be satisfied with that level any longer. I pray that my heart will continue to open wider to God's purpose for me. I pray that for you too.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Discomforting thoughts. But the call to discipleship is discomforting.