Monday, November 23, 2009

Sent Out

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with someone who always says something that leaves me thinking. We were talking about Jesus and fellowship and where we see and don't see Jesus fellowshipping and what that might tell us today. We talked about discipleship and what that might mean for our world today. I went away still convinced of two things. First, I still want to better understand God's desire for me and how I need to live out the scriptures above. Second, I still think a return to the Christianity exhibited by a close reading of Christ's life is coming from a younger generation who will live in a different world than I have grown up in.

I am called to be a disciple; not a church-goer, not a good person, not a finger pointer - nothing but a disciple of Jesus. What should that look like in my life? in my words? my actions? my thoughts? It is a question and a path I am working on seeing more clearly and understanding better.

I do know this, the process of taking this journey has pulled me closer to God and given me peace I didn't know existed at one time. While I can wish I had made different decisions in the past, I cannot change history but only blaze new trails going forward and I am praying that the road I take leads me directly to the throne-room of God.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: