Thursday, November 05, 2009

How Rich Are You?

The Yankees bought another World Series. I think it comes as no surprise that I don't care for the Yankees organization but I do enjoy Mariano Rivera when he comes to the mound to pitch. His demeanor and his results always impress me.
____________________________________________________

I heard a very thought provoking (and toe stepping-on) message from Rob Bell last night. How rich are you? Did you know that only 8% of the world's population owns a car? Did you know that around 1 billion people don't have clean drinking water? Did you know that nearly 800 million people go hungry each day? How about the fact that 300 million of those going hungry are kids?

I'm guilty of looking at the guy up the street and around the corner with the newer car, the bigger house with the pool, a bigger flat panel TV and thinking - now that's rich. I'm guilty of thinking it would be OK if I had 2 or 3 cars to drive depending on my mood, guilty of thinking a second vacation home is normal. Don't mishear me because I am not condemning anyone who has those things but questioning my desire to have so much more when others are starving.

1 Timothy 6:17-20 (NIV) - Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Is God pleased when I write my check to the cause-of-the-month and continue my pursuit of a bigger TV? Does he want more from me? Does he want my heart to be in helping the millions and billions of people - some who live very near me - or is he happy when I send my check and go on my way? How much is enough for me? for you?I added the boldness to a couple of phrases that I need to remember. It's more than writing a check or praying - I need to DO good and I need to remember that this life isn't the important one - there is one coming that will provide me with more than I could ever earn or deserve.

Bell also commented on the phrase "God Bless America." God has blessed America. What will America do with those blessings?

Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

OK, OK! Sorry I mentioned how a part of me desired the "Vaquero" life!

No really, I think we have been programmed / brainwashed to think that more will bring us satisfaction. But we will never know peace and contentment until our peace and contentment is found in Him.

Jeff said...

Amen brother.