Thursday, October 01, 2009

What About Me?

I think it's safe to say we live in a society that is suffering from a "me" addiction. What's in it for me? What do I get out of it? What about me? I have been a me-aholic and understand the desire to please self but have come to see it for what it is - a self-defeating endeavor. It's self-defeating because everyone will reach a point where getting all you want can never be enough and it leads to emotional, spiritual and physical pain. It drives people to alcohol and drugs, it destroys marriages, leads to depression, lack of hope and even suicide. It pulls people away from God and opens the door for satan to create shame and doubt. It slowly but surely tears people to shreds. There are very good and sound reasons scripture continually calls us to deny self and to put God first and foremost in every thought and action.

I ran across the website www.whatsinitforhim.com that is dedicated to the idea that we need to overcome our me addiction and start asking "what's in it for God?" The idea is that we need to take our focus off of ourselves and put it on God. It's not the idea that we start bargaining for God like we often do for ourselves but that our actions need to glorify him. The site and ministry is new and evolving but I hope the idea behind it catches on. In my life, are the choices I am making to the benefit of God's glory? That simple thought has the potential to create huge changes. Let us pray it is so.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Wow! I like that!