Monday, October 12, 2009

What To Say and When To Say It

Do you ever hear someone say something and feel the pain that comes from their words but don't know what to say? Or hear someone say something that you want to respond to but the words don't come? I find myself there every now and again and tonight is one of those times. I was reading what someone was writing on a site I visit and I sense pain for decisions made and pain from the consequences and I know that feeling - maybe not the exact thing they are experiencing but something that is likely similar. I realize I'm in a different place in life but pain is pain whenever you experience it, be it as a teenager, a middle-ager or an old timer. We may process the pain differently at different stages of life but the pain is still pain.

Here's the good news. God is still God. He is the God who loves us no matter what we have done. He is the God who waits for us with arms outstretched when those around us turn their backs and avoid us. He is the God who has mercy when others won't let go and he is the God who shares his grace in abundance. He is the God who will let us make bad decisions and the God who will let us feel the repercussions and he is the God who will let us learn from our mistakes and the God who will fight for us. He is the God who has won the war by sacrificing his son and he is the God who calls us his child. He is the God who allows us to suffer and feel pain and he is the God who gives us peace in storms, who will heal our wounds and who offers us joy in all circumstances.

God is patient, he is kind, he bears all things, endures all things and hopes all things. His forgiveness is abundant. He is Lord and shepherd and through him I have all I need.

I hope if you are reading this and you are suffering, if you are battling guilt or sorrow of decisions made, if it seems like the world is closing in on you - that you will turn to see God and that you will be open to the complete and perfect love he has for you. I have experienced it in my life and I hope you will find the joy and peace I have come to know.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: