Monday, January 21, 2008

Running Late

It's one of those mornings where I got out of my regular routine and can't get caught up with where I need to be. For those of you who prefer to read this earlier in the morning, my apologies.

My daughter went to Winterfest over the weekend with several members of the youth group. She loves it and really looks forward to it. They get to stay up late and are surrounded by a very large group of kids. I picked my daughter up around midnight Saturday night and she was excited but tired. I asked her what the theme was and her response was "it doesn't matter what we wear to church." I just laughed knowing it wasn't the best time to dig deeper but on the way to church Sunday morning with her and my son in the car, I asked her the question again and it offered an opportunity to discuss the true meaning of the lesson. When we were done, I think we all agreed that the topic was more along the lines of our focus needing to be on the inside, not the outside. If our heart isn't right, an Armani suit nor tattered rags can cover the real problem.

As Christians, we need to remember that the beauty of our buildings nor the beauty of our congregants can outshine the beauty of Christ. Our church may have a mismash of people wearing suits, jeans or shorts but all people need to see are our hearts. If they can see our hearts, we can help them find Christ but until they see our hearts, until the know we care, they won't see Jesus.

It was a great lesson that was presented to my daughter and many others and I pray that those kids will take it to school, to the playgrounds, to the malls, to their text messages and they will use their hearts to make the biggest difference in how people see them.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

A lot of adults need to hear that message, too. To steal an old line: It's the heart, Stu_ _ _! (sorry)

Melissa Taylor said...

If we were as concerned about the condition of our hearts as we are about the condition of our appearance - what a difference that would make. Can you imagine what people would change in their lives - including me!