Thursday, January 03, 2008

Happy New Year

It's 2008, can you believe it? Time continues to speed by and I want it so desperately to slow down but it doesn't listen to me.

Since I last posted, I celebrated Christmas with my family, got some cool stuff that I really don't need but plan to enjoy anyway, saw my favorite basketball tournament (ranked by Sports Illustrated as one of the top-5 holiday tournaments in the country) had a birthday and was the preacher for a little church in Denton. The Cowboys limped into the playoffs and I won my fantasy football league even though I was the 7th seed going in. How's that for excitement?

I enjoyed my preaching gig and preach this Sunday also. It's not something I am equipped to do on a regular basis and I'm certainly not qualified to deliver a message like many preachers do every week (Rick Ross comes to mind) but it gets me into God's word and causes me to spend more time thinking about Him and what He tells us and wants for us. My sermon last week and this week are things that have been on my heart and mind lately which makes it easier because I've been developing thoughts over time.

Last week, I talked about the paralyzed man who was brought to Jesus by 4 friends. They couldn't get in the house where Jesus was speaking so they carried him to the roof, dug a hole and lowered him to the floor. Can you imagine the faith and hope they had to do all of that? Then when Jesus sees the man, he tells the paralyzed man who has been carried by friends that his sins are forgiven. Wow! I wonder what the paralyzed man thought. Was he ecstatic to be forgiven of his sins? Was he confused because he came to be healed?

The story resonates with me because I place myself in the story and I think I would come to Jesus to be healed of my infirmity (diabetes) and if Jesus said I was forgiven of my sins, I wonder if my reply wouldn't be "thanks, but what about my diabetes." I get so caught up in wanting what I want or think I need that I forgot a greater gift has been given to me through Jesus. In 2008, I will continue to ask God for things but I want to do so much, much, much more thoughtful of what has already been given to me, forgiveness of sins. What a beautiful gift that I too often overlook. What a beautiful gift that I want to begin to celebrate.

2 comments:

Melissa Taylor said...

Well, happy birthday and congrats on fantasy football. By the way, I really like the picture of you on your blog!

Rick Ross said...

I would love to hear you preach. The wisdom you bring to situations always impresses me.