Monday, January 07, 2008

The Dad Sermon

This past Sunday, my sermon came from a conversation I had not too long ago with an unmarried friend who has never had children. We were talking about work and life and I expressed one of the benefits of my job was being close by to attend anything my children were doing. My friend couldn't understand why that seemed so important; what it would hurt if I wasn't around for everything. Then I relayed a story and when I was done he said, "I get it, that truly makes sense."

The story occurred when I was 16 or 17, a punk kid who knew more than most people, certainly my parents. I was in the backyard sitting on a picnic table and my dad came out in the yard. For whatever reason, I started asking him why he didn't make as much money as another Allstate agent in town, one who lived in a bigger house and was on TV commercials at the time. I remember my dad's response so well. He said he could make that much money if he wanted to work the way the other man did, spending his days, nights and weekends selling insurance. And then came the words that hit me right in the heart..."I could do that but I want to be home to be available if you ever need me." I don't remember saying anything else.

That sentence has bounced around in my head for years and as I have matured and realized my parents are pretty smart and I'm not quite the Einstein I mistook myself for, I realize those words that came from my father came from THE Father. I appreciate my dad because we can say "I love you" and hug when we see each other and when we leave each other but there may be nothing else my dad has ever said that was more God-like to me than "I want to be available if you ever need me."

That's the beauty of our God, the Father. He is always available when we need Him. He is always present, always waiting for our cry, our call for help. He's always ready to bear our burdens, pick us up and encourage us through our trials. The Father is always available.

I love my dad because of so many things but nothing more than the fact that he was always available to me. Thank you Dad.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

What a precious story! No wonder you turned out so well (except for the Sub-T experiment).

Melissa Taylor said...

I truly appreciate dads like you - they are rare but extremely important!