Friday, June 30, 2006

How An O-Ring Can Make You Tired

Traveling to Brazil was a great experience but we were all ready to come home when we reached the Sao Paulo airport Tuesday night. It was there that we found out a scheduling mix up meant there was no plane to take us home. American Airlines did help locate us in a hotel for the night. We returned to the airport Wednesday night for our scheduled flight very ready to be home. An hour into the flight the pilot alerted us there was a hydraulic fluid leak and we would have to return to Sao Paulo. At sometime after 4:00 in the morning we were delivered to another hotel (very nice but at 4:00 in the morning it didn't really matter). At this point, we were all very, very, very tired. We were delivered back to the airport Thursday night and arrived at DFW Friday morning at 6:00 in the morning. On the flight, we found out that a simple O-ring had cracked and caused the leak costing the airlines thousands of dollars and making us extremely weary.

There were many challenges during the trip but all were handled with grace and ease. We prayed as a group before we left for a number of specific hopes and concerns and God faithfully answered all of our prayers. I have returned from Brazil with a new perspective on my life and my faith, I have returned with a great appreciation of the servant hearts possessed by members of our group and I have returned knowing God is more awesome than I can describe. I am overwhelmed by the heart and commitment of Randy and of other missionaries we met while in Aracaju. They have given up a life of convenience for a life of service in sharing the Gospel.

I cannot speak highly enough of our youth that went on the trip. I know them better and am blessed to have spent this time with them. If they represent the future of the what God has called us to be, I am confident they will do a better job of spreading His word than many of my generation have. They are bold in their faith and I am confident what they experienced will only help shape them into stronger Christians.

I hope our church will realize the blessing God gave us when he brought Jacob and Heather to Decatur. Jacob is a servant leader to his core. He models what Christ would have us be and is an example for all of us to follow. Heather is also a servant leader who quietly does whatever is needed. They model the fruit of the Spirit in all they do and I am thankful to God that I have come to know them.

Everett is a blessing also. His desire to serve God, to teach and to lead people to knowing the Gospel is evident. His experience traveling and in missions made this trip easier than I could have imagined. He builds me up and challenges me to know God better and I am thankful for him.

Thank you for all your prayers. Even with a few hiccups, God provided all we needed and brought us home safely. It is good to be home among family.

1 comment:

Bev Ross said...

We are delighted you are home! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!