Saturday, June 10, 2006

Saying Goodbye

I said goodbye to my grandmother today. Saying goodbye is never easy but it is comforting to know that she chose to live as a child of God and that her home now is the one that is promised to those who accept His salvation.
As we said goodbye and I listened to the preacher talk about her Christian qualities, I couldn't help but think that even with tears flowing froms sadness how wonderful it was to know she had a home in Heaven. I also thought about what it must be like to be at the funeral of someone who is not a child of God. What is there to rejoice about? Where is the hope?
My grandmother feels no more pain and only knows joy. What a blessing to know that awaits me too.
As we finished the service, I was blessed to listen to Psalm 23 read. As David finishes saying "...surely I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" I hear the promise that my grandmother had, that I have. What comfort and peace comes from those words. I hope somehow, everyone can come to know that peace.
Goodbye Grandmom. Thank you for the life you led, the example you set and the knowledge of our Savior that you taught and shared.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I was saddened to hear about your grandmother's passing. Beverly and I were out of town until Saturday evening. I pray that the Lord will continue to provide you with His comfort. "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord!"