Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

I am blessed. I've grown up having a great dad who has supported me, taught me, encouraged me, molded me and challenged me. I've grown up have a dad who loved me and sacrificed for me. One conversation my dad had with me in our backyard changed my perspective on him and has continued to have a profound impact on me now that I'm a father. As we sat in the backyard, I asked why he didn't make us much money as another man in the same business. His answer was simple and direct when he said, "I could but it would require me to work a lot more. Instead, I rather be available to you whenever you need me." I, like many kids, think money is the key to a happy life. My dad taught me that day that a personal relationship was the key to life. Thank you dad. God blessed me richly.

I am blessed more by having a second father. I married into a wonderful family and have been blessed to also have a father by marriage who is a great example of patience, of love and of servant leadership. I've seen him go through tough times and he always handles it with grace and dignity. I've seen him in good times and he remains ever humble.

____________________________________________________

This is my last night at home for awhile and likely my last day to post a blog for a while. We leave the church building at 9:30 tomorrow morning to begin our trek to Aracaju, Brazil. It is with a sense of excitement and anxiety that I prepare for this trip. My prayer is that lives will be changed to the glory of God through this trip. I'm thankful to the many people who have made this trip possible, both for me and for our entire group. I ask for your prayers for our safety and for success in sharing the Good News with the people of Brazil.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Jeff,

You are blessed! Beverly and I just love your parents. And of course we have known the Beards for a while, and have so greatly appreciated them. I would amen all you said.

Blessings on your trip.