Sunday, June 25, 2006

Return to Civilization

My title is somewhat tongue in cheek but returning to hot water, air conditioning and being able to flush toilet paper instead of throwing it in a trash basket seems like a return to civilization. We stayed at an encampment that was nice but sub-standard to places most Americans would stay. I was surprised to see the broken glass bottles lining the wall around the camp to keep the bad guys out but a brief venture into the village found people who only regarded us as an oddity.

The time we spent with our Brazilian brothers and sisters was enlightening and uplifting in many ways. The one thing I walked away with was their genuine passion for God and for doing His will. The emotion that came through in their talks and in their singing was evident and their love for one another and us was also evident. They love to hug and they love to laugh. They have little in material things but they have huge hearts.

I'm growing weary of beans and corn meal but it is giving me an appreciation for what we need and what our focus should be about. Being here makes it easier to understand why other countries look down on America. I brought more for spending money than most people in the church earn in a month. What we expect as far as comfort, most Brazilians can't even fathom. All the while, with language separating us, we sang songs in Brazilian and they listened to us sing songs in English. While campaigning over 1 1/2 days, we gave out 10,000 flyers on the school of the Bible and the school received several calls wondering about the school and who these people were out singing. Our kids played futbal together, our ladies and teens taught Bible classes and the adults were edified from teaching from both Brazilians and Americans because our language was the same in spirit.

I've seen so much I can't begin to describe it here but I will leave with lessons that shall never leave me. I will leave closer to God because He has used this opportunity to teach me. I will leave with more compassion for people and with more passion for our mission efforts.

I do miss home. I have very tired physically and long to be with those I love so dearly. All the while, I thank God for this time and this place to know Him and His children better.

No comments: