Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Day Closer

The trip is one day closer. It's going to be hard to be away from my family for 9 days. I'm not a good solo traveler. I like to be home and when I'm not at home, I like to be with my family. Maybe it's the routine or the security of having them around but I'm never completely happy when I am not with them.
_____________________________________________________________________

My grandmother passed away this morning. She has lived many, many years and her body finally gave out. She saw so many changes in her life and lived through some memorable parts of history. The last few years have been hard ones and I am confident she was ready to move on.
I remember helping her quilt. Her quilts were prize winning and cherished by those who got them. It was truly one of her talents and I recall so many years of watching them being made, playing with her equipment and being her "helper". I remember her strawberry shortcake. If you've had it, you know what I mean. I remember reciting the 23rd Psalm to her when I stayed at her house. I assume it was one of her favorites and because of her, it is mine too. I remember a lot of yardwork at her house. I pulled weeds in the yard (to my children, yes, I do know what it's like to have to pull weeds), trimmed trees and mowed. I like to mow because she had a riding mower, not something we had at our house. I vividly remember going to mow once, taking the gas can out of the mower seat, sitting down and starting to mow when it felt like a fire had erupted under me. It turned out the gas can had a leak and I was sitting in gasoline while mowing in the heat of the summer...not a good combination. I remember she loved basketball. It's been a passion in our family for many years.

It's good to have memories. We can keep them and cherish them. One thing I will remember is that Grandmom was dedicated to God. I know she has gone to a much, much better home and all the problems she experienced are gone. I'm thankful for the legacy she and all my grandparents left me with their Christian walk. Their love for God is the living memory that I will carry with me daily.

No comments: