Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Weakness

We are taught that weakness is bad, that we must overcome our weaknesses, we must work and work and work so that our weaknesses will not hurt us.

Do you ever wonder why we have a weakness?

I was visiting with a friend the other day who is worn down by his weakness.  He is so focused on the problems it is causing in his life that he is having trouble moving forward.  He told me he has worked to overcome it yet it only seems to grow and have more power over him.

It made me think about why I have weaknesses.  God made me in his image so why do I have weaknesses?

And then it struck me...

Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

God left a place in us that He could work.  He gave us strengths and talents so we could use them but I think he gave us weaknesses so He would have a place to work in us, a place where we wouldn't forget we need Him.  Of course, I choose whether to try and hide my weakness or invite God in to it so that I will gain strength.  If God made me completely perfect in every way, would I need him as desperately as I do now with my weaknesses exposed?

I don't have all the right answers but in this case, I choose to thank God for my weakness because He will be the one to make me strong through it, stronger than I would ever become on my own.  I have experienced things God can do with my weakness that I never thought imaginable before I really gave myself over to His control. 

I am weak so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

This is an amazing paradox, isn't it? Well written, my friend.

mark gamble said...

This is what I wrote down in my Bible about 13 years ago. I keep it written in back of it to remind me each day that my weaknesses gives me my strength. Coming from a man who would fight at the drop of a hat back 15 years ago. I just can't help to think of how the rest of the world will never understand HIS ways. May you and yours be blessed thru our torments of today,tomorrow and forever. Shalom. Mark