Thursday, June 10, 2010

Are You Thirsty, Deer?

As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after you.  These are words David wrote in what we know as Psalm 42.  I'm not scholarly enough to know what the current situation was when David wrote this psalm but it sure seems similar to situations I encounter.

My tears have been my food day and night...
Why are you downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?
I say to God, my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me?  Why must I go about oppressed by my enemy?"

It's obvious David is wrestling with his heart, with his hope for what lies ahead of him.  I know that feeling.  I understand his question to God, "have you forgotten me?"  I get it.  I get it but David doesn't leave it at that.  He doesn't throw up his hands and walk away disgusted with God, does he.

As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after you.
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

David seeks God completely.  Completely.  He knows God hasn't forgotten him, he knows God hasn't turned his back.  He knows that longing for God with his whole being, that praising God within the storm is the path to take, the path to peace and salvation.

I admit that I struggle with this at times.  I feel like God is not listening to me, that he has forgotten me.  I get down and begin to wallow in my own messes and my thoughts become focused on me.  But not today.  Today I will join David in longing for God as the deer pants for water.  I will join David in praising God because He is the Almighty, He is Lord, He is I AM.  My life is in his hands.  He knows the hairs on my head.  He knows what He wants for me and what He will provide for me and I will exercise faith that it is sufficient for today.

Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your commentary on this Psalm. The tension in this Psalm is a window into the struggle between flesh and Spirit. I almost see David pacing back and forth as he wrestles with these questions: "Do I trust my flesh or do I trust my Spirit?" "Do I immerse myself in the way things seem or the way things really are?"

I could do well to listen to David. A thirst for God and tendency to praise Him... even when it seems that He's far away.

Rick Ross said...

I think every great person of faith has wrestled with the seeming "silence" of God. I find it interesting, because some people seem to hear God speak to them about parking places and menu choices. And yet great people of faith -- DESPERATE -- hear silence.

But strangely, that silence leads to a realization that I have nowhere else to go.

Thanks for sharing your struggle.