Friday, June 04, 2010

Loaves and Fishes

Wow.  I don't know what else to say after reading about Mobile Loaves and Fishes in a recent Texas Monthly magazine.  Wow.  If you can catch the brief article in the April 2010 Texas Monthly issue, you need to check it out.  If not, you can go to this link and figure out what they are doing.  IMPRESSIVE.


http://www.mlfnow.org/site/PageServer


I had planned something else for this space on this day but I'm blown away by what this organization is doing.  It is definitely a case of "the church leaving the building" and go to where the people who need to be served can be served.


Changing gears, did you hear about the kid pitching for the Detroit Tigers that had a perfect game going through 8 2/3 innings only to have a blown call by the 1st base umpire prevent the 3rd perfect game this year?  Poor kid.  I heard in the interview, when asked about the umpire, the pitcher said "the only person who feels worse about the call than me is the umpire."  To the umpire's credit, he watched the replay after the game, went to the Tigers locker room and apologized for blowing it.  The next night, the umpire that blew the call was behind home plate and the pitcher brought the lineup card out before the game to him.  I believe the pitcher's name is Andres Gallaraga and the umpire's name is Mike Joyce.  While I hate Gallaraga misses out on a perfect game, I hope the world will see the sportsmanship these two men have exhibited over the past couple of days.  Their actions say it all.


Back to regular programming.  I hope the challenge laid out by Loaves and Fishes touches you like it did me.


Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

S P Hughes said...

Thanks for sharing that website. That group is doing some amazing work!! It has given me some ideas for our small group which is looking for projects to help those less fortunate.