Thursday, August 20, 2009

Overreaction Thursday

The Rangers season is over. Two blown games against the Twins and it's painfully obvious this team isn't ready for the playoffs. The pitching staff had a great run (by Rangers standards) but the wheels are coming off. The greatest hitting coach in MLB isn't proving that title right now and the players sure aren't doing much to help. It was fun while it lasted...

OK, now that little rant is out let me say this season wasn't supposed to be near this exciting, that the future sure looks bright AND there is still a good chance the Rangers will figure into the playoff mix. I haven't given up hope in spite of my earlier tirade because I think there are still a few hungry veterans on the team that refuse to give up and there is enough youth that they are going to go keep having fun because they are a) too young to know they should quit and b) looking for bigger money.

It's been a great year and I still expect a few more exciting weeks but I also like to dream what the next few years will bring with Andrus, Feliz, Hunter, Holland, Borbon, et al.
_____________________________________________________

A confluence of thoughts and conversations have bombarded me recently that are helping to crystallize where I want to go. I've written before about my journey from an "intellectual Christian" to really letting God in my heart but in recent weeks I think I am better defining what I'm feeling. I am wanting to move from believer to disciple. I'm wanting to move from someone who knows what the Bible says about Jesus' life to actively trying to do what Jesus did while on earth.

I was listening to someone talk about what being a disciple meant. Disciples didn't want to just learn from their teacher, they wanted to emulate their teacher in every aspect of life. He said that disciples were even known to follow their rabbi to the bathroom in case he uttered a prayer or said something they might miss. Now, I don't know if that is wholly accurate but the point is the extremes a disciple would go to in order to be like their teacher. How far am I willing to go to follow Jesus? To what extreme would I follow Him, emulate Him, give up everything for Him?

I look forward to more study on what a disciple looks like in my body. I want to be more than a believer, more than a pew sitter and religious philosopher. I want to be more like my teacher everyday.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, it looks like it may be the Rangers that are poised for the meltdown. They definitely should be putting teams like the Twins away at this stage of the season if they are ready for the playoffs.

______________________________

I am so with you on discipleship--not just being a knower but knower who is a doer. (I don't know if knower and doer are real English words, but I'm going to use them.)

Maybe I should say it like this: Not just knowing. Not just doing. But knowing. Doing. BEING. I want to be who and what I know I should be, but at the same time it is a little scary to think about where the Lord may lead his disciple. Scary in the sense that it is uncharted territroy for me. I know I shouldn't fear when the Lord is with me, but in all honesty it is a little frightening.

So.. I read your post, my friend, and I don't think you're overreacting on either accounts.