Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Ramblings

It's the first day of school for the new year. I'm not sure where summer went but I kind of like the idea of being on a schedule again. Soon, I'll be ready for the freedom of summer. I'm not sure it ever really changes.
____________________________________________

Yesterday, many of the people who came to Gear Up! and got a raincheck for a backpack with school supplies came back to pick it up. I'm still excited about what was done that day and continue to pray that the spirit of giving and discipleship will grow in our church family.
____________________________________________

I just deleted a big section of writing because I fear it sounded too self-righteous. It's one of the constant concerns of writing a blog that other people read.
____________________________________________

Whew. The Rangers are headed to New York and we're 1 game behind Boston in the wild card race. Texas seems to play better against better talent so maybe this will be a good series for the team. I hope, I hope, I hope.
____________________________________________

I am praying today that everyone calling themselves Christian and caught up in what Obama is doing more than what God wants Christians to be doing will feel His pull and heed His will for them.

For several years, I was immersed in politics. I knew who they were, I knew how they voted, I knew who I wanted to be in office and who I wanted out. I wanted politicians to make my world a better place but I was missing the point.

God wants me to help make the world a better place. God doesn't care how much I know about American politics or the economy if I am not actively working to feed His children, to help the poor and the hungry, to bring light to the lost.

I am working to align my eyes with His eyes, my ears with His ears, my heart with His heart. I'm far away from what He wants me to be but each day I'm trying to get closer to Him. I've given up much of what used to occupy my time and kept me focused on something other than the battle for hearts and souls.

I hope the day comes when the battle will be about health care and taxes because there is no more hurting, no more hunger, no more homeless, no more lost souls. Until then, I have to keep asking myself what my time and energy needs to be focused on.

I don't want to go through the motions any more.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: