Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Don't Know Why

I am attending a memorial service today. A guy my age, a man with 2 children, someone with an infectious smile and good with people decided to take his life. I don't know why.

Yesterday, a high school aged girl was killed while running in downtown Bridgeport. The awning off a building fell as she and a cross country teammate were running killing 1 girl and leaving the other in the hospital. I don't know why.

There are mysteries I don't have answers to. There are questions I can't come to grips with. I don't know why some things happen that leave good people in pain. God knows. He tells us there will be times of pain, times of trials, times to persevere, times that will lead us to Him alone.

I do know these times can bring healing to the heart even in their pain. I do know peace can be found in the most trying of times if the focus is directed correctly. Still, there are questions that my only answer is "I don't know why."

I pray that God brings comfort to those who are hurting today and that they will be surrounded by people who will serve them with the love and compassion that God pours on us.

I do know that in the darkest of times, God reigns. He is sovereign. He will use the worst of situations for great things.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

When I hear of such tragedies, I am reminded of Jesus' words in Luke 13. Basically what He said is that God does not inflict tragedy on individuals as a punishment. But what we are to learn from them is that we need to be ready.

Great thoughts.