Thursday, August 27, 2009

Crying Out to God

Have you ever cried out to God? Do you know what it is to be sad, upset, angry, frustrated in the core of your being? Psalm 42 gives us a glimpse of David calling out to God, " 5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and 6 my God. My soul is downcast within me..."

Some people reach a place where they are so hurt, so broken inside there is nothing left but God to cling to. Some choose to stay in that empty place, hurt and broken, instead of reaching out to the hand of God that is extended to them. I went to a memorial service yesterday for a young man who was hurting so much that he took his own life. I don't know that anyone who hasn't taken that action truly understands the pain he must have been in but I know God's hand was extended to him and for some reason he couldn't reach out and grab on to God.

I do not pass judgment on the path he chose but I feel confident in saying at that moment, tears flowed from God because the young man could not get past the pain. I am also confident in saying that God is the God of the hurting, God of the downcast, God of the saddened, God of the broken. While I hear people pass judgment on the one who chose to end his life, I can't help but wonder if God has more compassion for the hurting than the judges.

I am praying today that I empty myself of me and allow God to fill me up. Like everyone else, I find myself crying out to God, wondering if He is still with me and in those times, I eventually find Him, his hands extended to me, His love overwhelming me.

Draw me closer Lord, closer Lord to you.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: