Friday, May 18, 2007

Wikipedia How To's

Wikipedia has a how to section that shows up on my Google homepage. There are some good how-to's, some that are useless and some that just make me think. Today was the Wikihow titled "How To Avoid An Uncomfortable Religious Conversation." I couldn't help myself and clicked over to see some simple ways to redirect the conversation. Nothing too controversial I suppose but it would have been much easier to just put one, "Join A Church and Wait."

Now, I realize I'm brushing a broad stroke when I say that far too often "religious" people are happy just being religious. They internalize their religion, they can pick apart those who aren't as religious, they drive to church giving funny looks to those who aren't headed to church and think that those people should be in church instead of doing whatever they are doing, they are pacified by following the same rituals each week at church and they leave only to come back and do it all again a week later.

They actually has been me at times, I just don't want to point the finger at myself. Goodness gracious, I hope that instead of avoiding uncomfortable religious conversations that I find myself very comfortable sharing the Good News, that talking about what Jesus has done for me is never uncomfortable and that I never make it uncomfortable for anyone else. I want to reflect a joy that makes other inquisitive so that I can help them find comfort in knowing the God of love and mercy that loves them and wants them in a relationship with Him. I hope I can make that a comfortable conversation.

No comments: