Monday, May 21, 2007

The Power of Forgiveness

I overhead a conversation between two employees this morning where one had been hurt by something someone had said to her. Her response was to ignore the one who hurt her and give them the cold shoulder. The other suggested she talk through it with the 3rd party and that was about all I heard.

The conversation has again reminded me of the power of forgiveness. The strength received from being forgiven is awesome. The strength gained in forgiving builds giants. I've been forgiven enough in my life by people that I've hurt that I understand how it helps me, lifts me up, gives me strength and courage to improve my life. Those that have forgiven me reach new heights of respect and awe from me. They are the strongest of the strong to overcome whatever hurt I may have sent their way.

Having forgiven others, I too know the power that comes from that. Not a power to lord it over anyone but a power to overcome the greatest of obstacles I may face. The power to know that whatever hurt I feel, whatever wrong I experience, I can overcome it, I can become bigger than the pain.

Imagine our God, a God who forgives time and time again. I know the strength I gain from His forgiveness. I know that each time He forgives me, I am better equipped to overcome Satan's next attack on me.

Imagine our God, a God who forgives time and time again. My concept to know His strength from His willingness to forgive is like a grain of sand on the beach. He forgives so much from so many. I'm confident He knew it would be this way when he gave his Son. To say he is a giant among giants does injustice to the reverence and awe I have for Him.

I do know this. I am blessed to receive forgiveness when I do. Even more, I want to be like my God in granting forgiveness. I want to know the power that comes from His mercy if only to use it to fight again the power of darkness that would threaten us.

If someone has hurt you that you haven't forgiven, today could be the day that you let it all go, that you overcome hurt with strength, that you lift someone up and become a giant in their life.

Thanks be to God for showing us, each day, the power of forgiveness.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Nothing liberates like forgiveness -- for both the forgiven and the forgiver. Thanks for the reminder.