Friday, May 25, 2007

Hard Stuff

Yesterday was a hard day for me. I had to listen to stories of a murder, child abuse and drug use. I was overwhelmed with the hurt and pain being experienced in Wise County. I went through emotions of sadness and anger. I listened as people were referred to as "frequent-fliers" because of the number of times they had been through the penal system. I struggled with my thoughts as I heard these stories and thought many of these people needed to be removed from this life because of their sins. I struggled to find any compassion for such heinous acts.

I still struggle today. I want to have the compassion of Christ but it is so hard to do when you hear about children who are taken advantage of by relatives and supposed friends. It's so easy for me to think that death is all they deserve and so hard to wonder how God could ever find mercy for them.

I know this will continue to weigh me down while I think of the images and descriptions I sat through yesterday. The only comfort I find, the only peace I can reach for, the only hope I can imagine is in the knowledge that God is so much bigger than me...so loving, so compassionate, so merciful. I hurt for these children and families and all I can offer is my prayer that they will find God through this, they will seek Him and find the hope only He can offer. I too want to learn that lesson and seek Him instead of giving in to the one who wants to turn us away from God.

I pray that God makes the hard easier to bear, that He soften hearts and strengthen resolve to overcome the tragedies we face. Only God can do that, if we let Him.

No comments: