Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Was It A Bad Choice?

This morning I asked my son how much he spent on a video game for his new PSP. His response was $40 (of which he had Christmas money to help pay for it) and then asked "do you think I made a bad choice Dad?"

I've given him a bad example in my "betting" with my wife. When we disagree on something minor or inconsequential and I am confident I am right, I'll always say "wanna bet?" and suggest we bet anything from a Diet Coke that's already in the refrigerator to a mythical $100, $1,000 or $1,000,000 when I know she's not going to bet me. My son has bought in and is willing to bet money on things he doesn't know for sure so he got a lecture the other day on the foolishness of it and his lack of respect for the money he is given or sometimes earns. That led to his question this morning of whether I thought he made a bad choice.

I was just curious today. I knew he wanted the game and had the money for the game and he used what he had to get what he wanted. Yet for an instant, he wondered if he had done the right thing. I hope that means he is learning to think about his decisions. Over time he will need to make sure he has answered that question before he spends the money but at least he's asking the question.

Too often I've had to ask myself that question. Was it a bad choice? The sermon we heard this past Sunday was on Paul's question of why he didn't do the things he wanted to and why he did things he didn't want to. It's a question I am too often faced with in my life and one that I hope I can change over time. The Spirit will lead us to the right choice if we focus on God and His will for us. I am usually focused on Jeff and what Jeff thinks is best. That's the bad choice. I need to focus on God and what God thinks is best. If I do, if I live that way, I'll never have to ask if my decision was a bad choice.

No comments: