Monday, December 04, 2006

Giving

Yesterday was a day to contemplate giving for me. The sermon at church was about Annanias and Sapphira (I'm trying to spell from memory) and last night I spoke about our mission efforts at church. As one "friend" told me, I'm no Rick Ross when it comes to speaking but our messages had some parallels, namely that we need to have a desire to give and a heart to share all that we have. I've been guilty in the past of thinking that if I gave 10% that I should be content. I now think of giving differently because I've seen what having nothing and still being joyful really is. I now examine my heart and wonder if I could really give all that I have and remain joyful. I examine my heart and look to see how much selfishness still exists, how much pride still exists, how much of ME and how little of God exists. I examine myself and think of what would happen if I was in Annanias' shoes and know they probably would have been carrying me out to bury me also.

I want to change my life and my motivations and my heart. I want to be able to examine my heart and only see God, to know that all I have I would part with for a deeper relationship with Him, that my desires come from His desires. That is my prayer today.
___________________________________________________

Weekend Update: Boyd won another fun game and will be playing Littlefield in Abilene this weekend. Fortunately, our basketball team has a bye so we don't have an issue this weekend for the waterboy. His basketball team won 30-7 which was awesome to hear about. It sounds like they hustled their way to a victory.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

Great thoughts! We Americans are blessed in so many ways. Yet, it can insulate us from really having to deal with trusting in God. We are better for the struggle.

Bev Ross said...

Great blog! I was really by struck by the Mother Teresa quote Rick shared yesterday: if you give something you can live without, then it is not really giving. Wow! I want to spend some time praying about this - quite convicting.