Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Santa Claus is Coming to Town...

Santa Claus will be here in just a few days to bring gifts and happiness to kids big and little. It's a magical time when you see the excitement in a child's eyes and feel the excitement they have over receiving a gift. While I hear parents complain about what their children expect from Santa with regards to pricing (it seems they could exercise some control over what Santa brings), I think the kids are just excited about getting to open a gift, to receive something with no strings attached and to know they were remembered. Whether I'm right or wrong, that is what I want to believe. I see the excitement in my children's eyes and see pure joy. I want to find the ways to give them that feeling every day with how I treat them, how I raise them and how I teach them to give of themselves to others.

_______________________________________________

It seems all the news the past few days has either been about lost mountain climbers or T.O. I feel for the families of the climbers yet am still amazed at the amount of press coverage it generates. In the end, I realize the story is a story of hope until they are all found, a story that maybe something good will come out of something bad. It's a window into our society, that people still hope to find something good amidst all the bad. As long as there is hope, there is a chance that a seed we plant today will grow tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I love your observations about the mountain climber story. People do want to believe there is hope.

So why all the attention given to T. O.?:)

Jeff said...

I wish I knew that answer Rick. I guess as much as society wants hope, they also want to hear the seedy side of life. Maybe one feeds off the other. We long to hear stories of hope because we are too drawn to stories of tragedy and filth.