Thursday, December 07, 2006

Can You Hear Me Now?

Last night our class discussed listening and the need to truly listen to people. Since I am one who prefers to say little, I think listening is a trait I have developed over the years but still struggle with at times. It's so easy to listen through our own filters of experience at times. Too often, I hear what people are saying but not listening for their experience, their feelings, their emotions. I hear it while thinking of my experience, my feelings and my emotions.

Steven Covey in his 7 Habits book says one of the habits of highly effective people is to first understand and then be understood. If we can't understand the other person and only try to make them understand us communication will never be effective. Covey does a great job of teaching about listening, listening deeply and intently to what others are telling you so you can understand where they are. In the end, if you don't know where someone else is how can you truly help them if they are seeking help or compromise with them if they are seeking compromise or advocate your position if looking at alternatives to an issue? You can't help the lost if you don't know where they are and you can't battle the enemy of you don't know where they are and you can't find love and peace and mercy and grace and salvation if you don't know where it is.

I need to listen to my wife, my family and friends and associates at work better. Even more, I need to listen to God better. I need to hear what He is telling me without subjecting His thoughts to my desires. I need to hear Him clearly and to understand Him because He already understands me.

No comments: