Friday, December 22, 2006

Merry Christmas To All...

Someone asked me recently why the Church of Christ doesn't celebrate Christmas (that's what they had been told anyway). It was a funny question seeing Santa comes to the Mother's Day Out program, the women all wear Christmas sweaters and earrings and everyone is talking about their Christmas plans and flat panel TV's (which may cure more than a coney ever will).

I joked with someone the other night that "we don't celebrate Jesus' birth at Christmas" and I guess there is some validity to the comment but I know that this weekend, more people will think about Jesus' birth, more people will hear songs about Jesus' birth and more people will go to a church service than maybe any other time during the year. When it comes down to it, whatever day Jesus' was born, there are a lot of people celebrating the fact that He was born, that He did come to earth now more than ever. At our congregation, we celebrate Jesus' life, ministry, sacrifice and resurrection year 'round.

I'm thankful that we do have a time where everyone has some focus on our Savior and pray that it doesn't end after Monday but will be a relationship that begins and lasts all year, every day of every year until they have the chance to be with God. Maybe then we can ask what day Jesus was born but I rather doubt that will be an issue in Heaven.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and I hope you experience the joy of knowing the gift that God sent us this day and every day.

No comments: