Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A shout-out to newsworthy. You know who you are. :)

Joshua has been elevated to the status of Waterboy for the Boyd Yellowjackets. Phillip Ritchey lets him come down on the sidelines and get bottles of Gatorade or water to the players. At a recent game, I noticed Joshua and a couple of the other kids were having a much better time laying on the bench, kicking a plastic bottle around and generally goofing off during part of the game. Afterwards, I explained to him that he was there to serve those players and he needed to pay attention to when they needed water and be ready. This past Friday, before arriving at the game, I again explained that he was there to serve, not to play and that he should take his role as a servant seriously. During the timeouts, I would see him running instead of walking onto the field. He followed the flow of the game on the sidelines so he would be closer to guys coming out of the game and get them a drink. He took his servant role seriously that night.

We are all servants. We serve God and we are to serve mankind. Do we run or walk when we serve, or do we look for a way out? Do we pay attention to who might need us, to whom we can serve? Jesus washed the apostles feet. He turned his attention to those in need. He died on the cross for me...and for you. He, who is so much greater than me, was my servant. I hope I learn to be His. I hope I learn to run to those I can serve. I hope I learn to walk the sidelines looking for whom I can assist. Joshua learned that little lesson last Friday night. I hope I can do as well.

No comments: