Friday, November 11, 2005

It was disappointing to see Boyd lose last night. It was the first Yellowjacket game I've been to that they lost. Afterwards, I was down on the field watching some of the players struggle with their emotions, receiving hugs and for some, planning for next year while others knew this was their last game. One thing I did notice was something I've seen at almost every game I've been to but it never struck me until last night. Phillip Ritchey is a coach for Boyd and there are a group of girls he coached in Junior High that make their way to him and always give him a hug. Maybe they do that with all the coaches but it is obvious that Phillip has had a positive impact on their lives. It really hit me last night after one of the football players came over to Phillip and with tears in his eyes thanked Phillip for "coaching me and helping me."

It's great to watch people who have such a positive role in the lives and developments of others. I'm sure every coach and teacher can have a positive impact but I'm convinced that Christians who also coach and teach have an ever greater influence in helping shape the lives of young people. I appreciated seeing and understanding the responses that were coming to Phillip last night.

That's the lesson for me. I'm a Christian who is also a businessperson and I must remember that order to have a truly positive impact on someone's life. You may be a Christian who is also a roughneck or a Christian who is also a mom. Whatever your "job", you can be an force of good in people's lives because you are a Christian. I want to be a person who will and can do that for others. I appreciate the many, many examples of Christian living and Christian leadership I have around me and I pray that God will give me wisdom to use that role for His glory.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rick Ross said...

Jeff,

You are so right! You can tell a lot about the Ritcheys by looking at their kids. It is gratifying to see Christians I know who are being salt and light.