Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hi Dennis. I know you're out there. :)

The question of why bad things happen to good people is as old as the ages and I don't believe people will ever stop asking it. Just last week, a Baptist minister was electrocuted while preparing for a baptism. Last night, we found out a young lady at our church has a very serious illness and prayed for another lady who is going to take cancer treatments in hope of living long enough to see her daughter graduate. These are just examples of tragedy we face and we ask "why God?" and yet we never have an answer. I'm sure we all have theories or have answers that at least pacify us until tragedy strikes again. My answer is pretty simple. In all these things, all we can do is either rely on God or turn away from Him. These tragedies allow us to choose our path. Will we draw nearer to God or step further away?

There are questions I have that I want to ask when I get to heaven. Asking God why he didn't prevent tragedies I've experienced through friends and family is certainly one of those questions. (All the while, I don't really think those questions will be an issue for me when I get to heaven.) Yet, while I'm here and can't question God, I choose to trust in His will, in His mercy and in His peace that only God can give.

Pray for those who are facing grief, tragedy and turmoil that they may find the peace and comfort that God provides and pray that we will be there to help them, that we will be God's hands and heart on earth.

No comments: