Thursday, November 17, 2005

My daughter emptied the dishwasher this morning. Without anyone asking her to. And she was smiling. Prepare for an earthquake!

Isn't it a joy when someone does something unexpected for you? I wish I was better at doing that. It may be a kind word or some small action or just a smile and a pat on the back. It may be a backrub or an empty dishwasher or the dirty clothes picked up off the floor. It may even be time spent with someone in your presence, even in complete silence. What a joy we have from people when they do the littlest of things for us. I came home last night and noticed the bathroom rugs had been washed and the room cleaned. (Kelly, if you are out there, THANK YOU! I forget to tell you far too often.) It made me feel good.

Little things like that are emotional deposits made in our "account" by someone. Eventually, they will need to withdraw on some of those deposits but if they've made enough deposits, they will not be overdrawn with us. I think I make far too few deposits and too many withdrawals with people. I do that with God too. I make more withdrawals for His love and mercy than deposits doing what I should. With people, eventually we are bankrupt. With God, He keeps giving us what we need. We are never bankrupt in His eyes.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

What a wonderful thought. And how wonderful it is to know that we are never bankrupt before God. I'm so glad it is not dependent upon what we bring. "Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling!"

By the way: Dennis lied. I washed the rug and cleaned the bathroom.