Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Why do bad things happen to good people? I've heard that question asked numerous times and I'm always stumped for a good answer. A friend recently lost his 12 year old nephew to cancer. An employee lost her months old baby to SIDS. Cooks Childrens Hospital in Ft. Worth and places like it all over the country are filled with terminally sick children. Then there are the folks that have been displaced and lost everything from Hurricane Katrina. You can hear stories like this everyday and are left with the question of "why?"
I've read a number of posts on blogs lately about why God, if He exists, would let these things happen. If He's so good, so loving, why would people have to endure this pain and turmoil. I wish I knew. I wish I had the right answer for them. I can take them to scripture and tell them that the rain falls on the righteous and unrighteous, I can tell them God has a plan, I can tell them God can take their burdens but without faith on their part, it will fall on deaf ears.
One day we may know. One day we can ask God all these questions. I don't know if I will because I can't help but think I'll be overwhelmed with heaven. I think all the tough questions of life might become insignificant as I bask in His glory and hear the angels sing.
I have to remind myself that what's important isn't here and now, it's in my future. The things I want to know now won't be important one day and the pain I see will be replaced by an incredible joy and happiness that will be beyond anything I can imagine today. I look forward to that day.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I think bad things happen to good people because Satan has turned God's intentions for us upside down. Satan is a powerful enemy. And he causes bad things to happen -- and then gets us to blame God. Maybe that's too simplistic. But to me, it's all about the battle between good and evil. God is all good, and Satan is all NOT!