Monday, May 02, 2011

Thoughts from Sunday night

I was watching a movie Sunday night and turned it off to catch the 10:00 o'clock news to find that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.  I sat there listening for quite some time with no words to say but as I watched, several thoughts started to flow through my mind.

I posted this on Facebook, a question borrowed from Chad Holtz, a Facebook friend, "A watching, cynical world will be looking to see how people who claim to follow Jesus will react to the death of a terrrorist. How does Jesus make a difference in our view of such events?"


As I watched the ongoing news, I was struck by the celebration on the TV while wondering if people really believe this is the end of terrorism.  When our nation is attacked, most people rally together and, as a country, we are more engaged in a war mentality.  I wonder if it will be any different for Osama's followers, if their resolve will grow stronger and their attacks will be ramped up.  


The celebrations I'm watching don't seem so much different than what I see from Middle East countries when they celebrate their attacks against us.  


I can understand what has happened and I can understand the decisions that were made.  What I'm not comfortable with is the response of so many.  Facebook comments that thank God that Osama is dead hurt my heart.  People singing God Bless America in response to someone's death doesn't strike me as a blessing.  Is God celebrating this death?  Is God going to bless this country because we killed someone who wanted to persecute us?  


I won't begin to suggest I know more about what living the life of a Christ-follower is than the next person but I can't help believe scriptures that suggest that we should celebrate in sharing in sufferings mean singing and dancing in the streets because of one man's death fly in the face of what God would have us do.


I pray that this world will know peace but, more, I pray that those who want to be disciples will act as disciples and that God will open my eyes to know what that looks like in my life.


Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

amyg said...

Jeff,
I had the same response. I hope that a equal and opposite reaction is not in store for us. When necessity dictates this kind of action, it seems that we would consider it a sobering and humbling occasion.

Rick Ross said...

Interesting how often our blogs follow the same line of thinking. Maybe a better word would be "scary."