Friday, April 22, 2011

Things Learned in the Airport

Wednesday was a not-so-fun day at the airport.  My first flight back was delayed, then delayed again, then delayed again.  They got me booked on another flight because the problem was a hydraulic leak and it can take hours to find those.  So, I was excited to get on a plane leaving at 2:00, then 2:30 and finally 2:50 because I would still get home in time for church.  Uh, negative Ghostrider.  The pilot comes on just minutes into our flight to let us know that the landing gear wasn't working properly, we would fly in circles long enough to burn off 10,000 pounds of fuel and then give the landing a go and let us know there would be firetrucks and all the emergency response folks standing by.  The landing was fine and all was well.  Here are some random thoughts.
During the delay, I was in line with a man from Chile who was VERY upset about the delays and wanted everyone to know.
I was also in line with a couple from Brazil who felt very inconvenienced that the plane was delayed and thought they should move to the front of the line to be serviced first since they were sitting in first class. 
There are some people who get really mad when someone tries to cut in line.
Mad women are the most persuasive in getting people to quit cutting in line. 
The ladies working the desk must be given some type of sedative to stand there, take the heat and not pull a gun on someone.
During a flight in which people think there's the possibility of a very bad ending, there are multiple ways of handling the stress but applause seems the general consensus when  everyone realizes the plane isn't going to explode.
A husband asked to switch seats so he could sit by his wife.  The whole time they were sitting together, he never held her hand.  I thought it odd but give him credit for at least moving to be closer to her.
Some people use humor in stressful situations.  Sometimes it's very bad humor and they would do better to put a gag in their mouth.
Some people get real nervous and real quiet but the fear in their eyes is evident.
I felt like I was at peace the whole time knowing the ending could be THE END.  I wasn't in control of anything so I said a couple of prayers for the pilots and the souls onboard. 
I did realize I need to leave a note of what life insurance policies I have before I fly out again on Wednesday.
After defying death (yes, that's a bit exaggerated but it makes for good drama), you'd think people would be happier and counting their blessings.  Not the man from Chile.  Instead, he exhibited what it's like when a horse's behind actually speaks. 
If I was a desk agent and a little man from Chile said the things to me he said to that poor lady, someone would lose a head and someone would wind up in jail I think. 


All in all, I was just glad to get home 9 hours late and sleep, all to briefly, in my own bed. 


The song that kept cycling through my head the whole trip was "It Is Well".  I want to be able to live it out daily.  The ups, the downs, the victories, the challenges, I want to face it all knowing whatever comes my way, it is well with my soul. 


Grace and peace to you.

3 comments:

Rick Ross said...

Wow! That sounds like a plot for a movie. Glad you are home safely.

It seems like in situations like the one you described, there is always a "man from Chile" or someone like him. In fact, on a scale of one to ten (with him being a one and Jesus a ten) at times I have come closer to looking like him than like Jesus. God forgive me.

Unknown said...

That was one heck of a day!

Here's my question: Why didn't the pilot just burn those 10,000 lbs of fuel by flying to the destination instead of flying in circles (since it was a landing gear problem)?

Glad you're home safely too.

bartsirmandvm said...

Glad you're safe Jeff.

I'm up close and personal with horse's behinds on a daily basis, yet I've never heard one speak. I'd like for you to fill me in on this. They've done lots of not-so-pleasant things to me, but not a peep so far. :-) Couldn't resist. Sorry for wasting your blog space.