Monday, December 14, 2009

Sports and Such

Colt McCoy didn't win the Heisman and I wasn't totally surprised but I also lost a little more respect for the sports voting process at the same time. In the end, Colt has won plenty of awards and received plenty of accolades and will go on to be very successful without the Heisman but what a great opportunity to recognize a young man who appears to be very special in many ways.
______________________________________________________

The Cowboys lost yesterday. I can't help but laugh. I still don't think the problem lies with the talent on the field. Even so, I do get a twisted enjoyment out of watching Jerry in these situations.
______________________________________________________

Saturday - Texas Longhorns vs. North Carolina Tar Heels hooping it up at JerryWorld. Yes, I will be there and as much as I respect, enjoy and cheer for the Tar Heels, I will be wearing burnt orange and yelling "Hook 'em Horns!"
______________________________________________________

Our small groups discussed the passage in Luke 20 where Jesus tells the smart-alecks to render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's and it reminded me how much my thinking on government has changed in the past few years. Where I once stood proclaiming government should put prayer back in schools and reflect our Christian heritage, I now simply see government as a tool to support infrastructure of the country and do it's best to protect it's citizens. Government has no business regulating prayer or matters of faith because that is my responsibility and the responsibility of all who call themselves Christians. I am thankful for leaders of this country who place God at the very top of their priorities but I expect them to live out that commitment, not regulate the country with it.

I was able to spend part of Saturday with a group of teenagers who hung lights on homes of people who couldn't do it for themselves. That speaks louder than any prayer in school or printing God's name on a coin. It's a little thing to hang Christmas lights but a major shift of the heart to take their time to do something for someone else who can't.

They reminded me once again that I need to be sure I am highlighting the CHRIST in CHRISTian.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: