Friday, December 12, 2008

The Weekend

Colt McCoy should win the Heisman on Saturday. I'm betting he won't.

Politics in Illinois are certainly an interesting case study. It's a good thing Obama is squeaky clean. :)

I like it when Thanksgiving is earlier in November and we have another weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
__________________________________________________________________

Can you imagine what homeless people are going through right now. It's cold outside.

When I was in Denver a few weeks ago, I was struck by the homeless huddled together near the capitol in the mornings and walking the 16th Street Mall in the evening. I can't figure out why a homeless person would stay in Colorado during the winter but, I can't really comprehend their lives at all.

Having read Same Kind of Different As Me recently, I see the homeless much different than I have before. Honestly, I've been a little scared of "them". In Denver, I saw a man walking in circles and talking to himself and I wondered what has happened to him - but wouldn't take one step towards him to find out.

I'm struggling with my thoughts and feelings towards the homeless. I am much more compassionate to them today than I used to be but I haven't taken a step forward to figure out how I could help them - yet.

I ask you to help me by joining me in prayer for the homeless, for those who may feel cast out of society, for those who feel invisible to the rest of us. I'll be praying that God provides for them what they need and that He provides for me what I need to help them in some way.

No matter our status, our appearance, our bank accounts; we are all God's children, made in His image, loved by Him.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I, too, don't understand why Denver would be a place where the homeless congregate. I don't know if it is still true, but Denver one had a higher percentage of homeless people than any other US city.

I also am reassessing my long-held programming as to the plight of the homeless. Even if they ARE where they are by their own life decisions -- does that make them any less deserving of my compassion?