Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Struggling to Write

I'm struggling with thoughts that I can't get into words so today will be more babbling about some random observations.

Obama promised change. Biden, Clinton and several other Clintonistas and politicians that have been hanging around for a few years are serving on his cabinet and advisory positions. Not a lot of change there.

I thought they would have changed the Big 12 tiebreakers by now. A team that beat the 2 teams playing in the Big 12 championship game is sitting at home. Here's hoping Missouri pulls out the upset of the year and Florida wins the SEC just to make it more interesting.

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday promoting the idea of taking education away from local districts and putting it at the national level. The idea is that the national government can reduce the layers of management for local districts and reduce resources. The article was written by Louis Gerstner who turned around IBM. I'm not sure it's a very good idea but wonder if it doesn't have some merit.

I saw a spot on TV about one school paying kids cash for good grades. One one hand, I'm all for rewarding high achievers. On the other hand, and I fear far worse, it just amplifies our societies problem with wanting immediate results instead of reinforcing that our vision needs to be a little longer, our hope for reward not always right in front of us.

I'm sure I've heard a sermon with that theme before. It's my biggest struggle right now.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I'm with you in hoping for some major upsets this weekend.

The education idea sounds like it ought to be looked into. My greatest hesitation? How rarely the federal government actually improves anything it gets its hands on.

Melissa Taylor said...

Paying kids for good grades...my dad used to do that. I used to get 5 dollars for every A. I think that my own children would be thrilled to get paid for their A's. I won't pay them for them though, I just expect it!