Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Asking Why

A fatal car accident. A wife losing her husband. Five children losing their father. Why God? Why?

Monday was one of those days where it seems impossible to not ask God why something so sad, so tragic, can happen. Why God?

As much as I want to say I put my full faith and hope in God, there are some things that happen and I can't help but ask why. I wish I had better answers. Someone asked me for a scripture they could use to help console people hurt by this tragedy. I suggested Romans 8:37-39 because it has certainly lifted me up at times but when someone loses their husband, their dad, I wonder if it helps.

I know God allows good and bad to happen to the good and bad. I have been reading Job and see how God allowed a blameless man to face obstacles. I know that in the darkest of times, we can be drawn closer to God than at any other time. I know that there are mysteries of God we may never know, never understand. I know all of that and I still can't help but ask why at times and then, in those times, I also find myself praying that those who have lost, those who are hurting will seek God and that He will give them what they need. It's in those times that I am full of belief that only God can heal, only God can bring peace.

I will probably continue to find times where I ask God why something is happening that I just don't understand, where I can't see what good can come from it. I'm sure I will but I hope that I will also use those times to go deeper with God, to seek His purpose in my life. I've learned that there are times I need to feel pain to seek healing, I need to be aware of hurt so I'm more fully aware of His mercy and grace, that I need to be engaged in a spiritual battle so I will use the armor God has given me.

I am praying that the family that lost their husband and father will seek God for the comfort only He can provide. I am praying that they will remain strong in their faith and that He will provide all they need, today and forever.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

Great thoughts. Our God is big enough to take us asking why. I do not know the family you wrote about, but my heart really hurts for them.

Melissa Taylor said...

My dad died when I was three, and I find myself asking why a lot - especially after I had my own children - I guess it sunk in a little more to me then. God is always with us - even through heart break. I know.