Thursday, December 11, 2008

Job (the book in the Bible)

I've been reading Job again. In some ways, it's like the first time I've read it because I'm getting new thoughts and understanding. It's slow because I keep re-reading passages over and over until I think I really understand the lessons. One of the things I love about the Bible is that I continue to learn new lessons the more I read. Stories I've heard many times can still bring new understandings and insights to how I understand God and understand my relationship with Him. I think I'll have more to say about Job when I get through it. I still can't understand God's decision to allow Job to suffer. Saying that, I appreciate the lessons and the example but I feel sorry for Job. On the other hand, when I hear the question "why does God let bad things happen to good people?" I look at Job and the answer I hear is "so God can use the strong to teach the weak." I don't know if that's right or not but I gain strength through Job's story. I gained strength watching Jerry and Anna Nicholas. I have gained strength through other friends who have endured pains and battles I will never grasp. The strength I have gained is the strength that allows me to cling to God more tightly, to hold on to the hope He gives me. I still slip and fall but seeing the strong endure the traps satan throws in front of them builds me up, not in myself, but in my ever-increasing reliance on and in God.

I would be thrilled if no other bad things happened to good people but I feel pretty sure that God will continue to use the strong to teach the weak. I hope I continue to learn and continue to seek my strength from God and his perfect love.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Last night in our men's class, someone asked "Do you think God ever says to Satan, 'Have you considered my servant, Rick?'"

I immediately thought: Job was on His A-team. I'm on the practice squad. But I want to be that man who -- if Satan brought it all against me -- will still say, "I KNOW that MY Redeemer lives."