Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Journey continued

I was telling a friend the other day how my first trip to Brazil changed my heart in so many ways and put me on a new journey with God that has opened my eyes to things I really didn't see or understand before. I wish I had the words to describe what I have experienced the past 2+ years but I don't. I have experienced a closeness to God I've never known. I've experienced spiritual highs that are literally breathtaking. Along the way, I've also experienced spiritual lows that have crumpled me to my knees in tears.

While driving home last night, I listened to a song that I have heard many times but never really heard. I've listened to it many times, maybe even sung the words but last night I heard the words through my heart, not my head. Below is part of The Mountain of God by Third Day.

Thought that I was all alone
Broken and afraid
But You were there with me
You were there with me

And I didn't even know
That I had lost my way
But You were there with me
Yes, You were there with me

'Til You opened up my eyes
I never knew
That I couldn't ever make it
Without You

Even though the journey's long
And I know the road is hard
Well, the One who's gone before me
He will help me carry on
After all that I've been through
Now I realize the truth
That I must go through the valley
To stand upon the mountain of God.

Those of you who know me well know I think that Heaven on earth resides in South Fork, Colorado. It's the most beautiful, most peaceful place I know. To get there, I have to go through the San Luis Valley and drive up some steep mountain roads. It's taxing for cars to drive up it at times but the time it takes, the effort to get there brings me to the most wonderful place I know. It's all I have right now to compare with the valleys I will travel through to get to the mountain of God but I do know that as hard as they may be and the pain they may bring, the trip will be nothing compared to the beauty and peace and joy and glory of reaching the destination God has prepared for me.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

The difficult roads make the destination more desirable and more meaningful.

This could be another sermon. See, you are already getting backlogged on sermon topics.