Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What Makes Me Turn Off The Olympics

Coming home last night with my son, we're listening to the Rangers game as the score goes to 10-0 with Boston leading after the 1st inning. Yes, the 1st inning. Big Papi hit two 3-run homers in the 1st inning. Yes, the 1st inning. Game over, right?

We get home, settle in and flip on the Olympics and then decide to run get something to eat. We're back to the Rangers on the radio and hear that it is now a 2 run game. We get back home and watch the Rangers lose in a 19-17 slugfest. Incredible. I hate the Rangers are still lagging too far behind in the wild card race but compared with last year's team - this is still a little bit of fun.

Tell me if you've heard this one before. If we can just bring in some pitching...

CC Sabathia, Ben Sheets and A.J. Burnett are all free agents after this year. I don't know what it would cost but put those 3 guys with this offense and the Rangers would have the potential to rule the baseball world.
_____________________________________________________________

The Shack is still in play. I talked to someone yesterday who just finished it and had a similar response to me. "Man, there's some stuff in there that's too far out but it has expanded my thinking and understanding of God in ways I didn't know possible." I think it is a book that will be debated on it's merits for awhile but I simply see it as a tool to reach different people in different places. If we are to come to God as we are, all the books and all the preachers and all the teachers and all the evangelists and missionaries and active Christians can't do everything the same way. People come in various forms and while there is only one God, He sees us as he created us, not as we see each other. I'm the only father my children have but I do not always respond to them in the same way because they are different children with different personalities. I want the same thing for both of them but getting them there may take different approaches.

The Shack will be a re-read for me, not to wrestle with the parts of the book I didn't like but to see if there is more there that God wants me to know about how I can approach Him and serve Him.

If you have read it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it sometime - either here or in person.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I have heard The Shack referred to as a modern day Pilgrim's Progress. Certainly, not everything in that book is to be taken literally -- since it is allegorical. But there are still great lessons to be learned.

I thought the book gave some great insights into the nature of God. I didn't care for the way it portrayed the church. But no human author is going to get it ALL right.