Friday, April 18, 2008

The Storms

Another line of storms moved through last night without the fanfare of the week prior. It struck me last night how we sometimes prepare for storms that bring much less turbulence than we expected while other times the storm is on us before we are prepared.

My life is like that often. I worry about things that turn out to be much smaller than what I had imagined while other times, I'm overcome and didn't even see the problems coming. As I get older, I am learning to prepare as best I can and pray...a lot. I am reaching a time of life where I want to know more about prayer. Slowly but surely I am realizing there is only so much I can do on my own and that I need God to lead me, to work in me and around me. By spending time in prayer, I believe I open myself to God and the more I can pray, the more open to Him I will be.

I still get caught praying the most when I need God the most and praying the least when things of life are going well. I hope I can reverse that trend because things go well most of the time. It's a time to praise God, to be open to Him. There will still be prayers through the storms and the storms may be plenty but how much closer to God will I feel when I've spent more time in prayer with Him?

No comments: