Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Alma Mater Alcohol

I recently read that my alma mater, Abilene Christian University, will be changing one of it's rules regarding alcohol use by students. The current rule is if any student is seen using alcohol, they are subject to dismissal from the school. The new rule will not prevent students of legal age from using alcohol away from campus and non-school events.

I have some mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, there aren't that many students of legal drinking age. Add the fact that the school can't afford to try and babysit students all over town and it makes it seem like a rule that doesn't have to be on the books anyway. On the other hand, and what really bothers me, I feel like ACU is relaxing it's standards. While I was a student, I happened across a few people who broke a few of the rules but they and I all knew ACU's standard and respected the school's right to set rules to hold to that standard. Now, it appears the standard is loosening and I feel like that is a problem our society already faces. "Kids are going to have sex so tell them about condoms instead of abstinence." "People are going to use drugs so legalize marijuana." How far can we go as a society to lower our standards to nothing? How far will ACU go in lowering than standards?

I don't know all the reasons for their decision and oddly enough, they didn't ask my opinion. Maybe they think it will be a revenue stream for the new Budweiser Field they want to build (did I mention they passed on 3 student-athletes of excellent character and enough ability to play for other LSC schools and I'm still rather disenchanted about that) so their star athletes can show off their prowess. Maybe it's a simple as saving some ink for a rule they cannot enforce.

In the end, ACU doesn't care what I think and I don't think too highly of ACU. I don't know that their new decision will amount to anything but I also wonder if it's the first step down a slippery slope of decisions that will eventually render it a "Christian education" much like you will find at TCU or Harvard or a number of other schools that started with some religious roots but have effectively abandoned them in the name of academia. Time will tell.

6 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I have read the statement issued by ACU, and actually they are adding to the enforcement of no alcohol on campus. They are also strengthening the penalty for anyone of legal age providing alcohol to those who are underaged. How could they enforce the rule to legal-aged adults living off-campus to begin with? This new rule makes more practical sense. The old rule didn't work too well, did it?

I am sorry about the experience with the three athletes you mentioned. Perhaps their needs were at other positions. It seems as if the new football program is much-improved -- so they must be doing something right.

I love ACU. I think it is a fine school with an incredible Bible department. The ministry graduates they produce are impressive.

Budweiser Field? Do you really think so?

Jeff said...

The thing they are doing that I believe will best help is talking about alcohol use at orientation activities. Strengthening the rules is no problem either. My only concern is where they are relaxing one of the rules? Is it hard, maybe impossible, to enforce. Sure. Did it always work? No. If it helped one person stay away from alcohol was it worth it? I think so.

The craziest thing about the whole deal is that I would be posting about it. My time at ACU was incredible but I certainly found ways around a few of the rules. Even so, their rules were a constant in my life that always pulled me closer to where I needed to be.

Budweiser Field may be a stretch. Mixed swimming may be the next target though!

Melissa Taylor said...

They call it "A"lmost "C"hristian "U"niversity for a reason, don't they? Go to Harding instead!

Kory Jones said...

Thank you Mark and Melissa!!

They agree with me too, Dad!!

Rick Ross said...

I guess that makes me and my family only almost Christians.

Obviously people who would call it that don't know some of the great spiritual people who have mentored me and thousands of others through the years.

Why can't we be proud that the churches of Christ have a number of good universities to choose from?

Jeff said...

I think most people would agree that "our" universities do a good job overall. Like anything run by people, they all have their strong points and like most universities, will take some jokes from people from other schools. When I was at ACU, I heard the same things about Hardly Christian (Harding) and Less Christian University (Lubbock).

I posted today knowing the topic is one that will illicit many thoughts. Having read comments at the Abilene paper web site, many people feel ACU remains far too strict. Reading the Optimist site, several students praised the change in the off-campus piece of the policy. Reading emails from a group of Subbers...well, I don't even want to go there. At any rate, I posted what I did because I feel I certainly have an understanding of what can and does happen on one side of the issue and my personal feeling about the change in the policy.

I have been blessed to know graduates of the ministry programs from ACU and Harding and feel they both do a good job. ACU, with the help of Sub-T, has produced some spiritual leaders I've only heard of (Batsell Barrett Baxter) and known (Garvin Beauchamp). Our church in little Decatur is blessed to have two incredible ministry graduates from ACU and Harding.

I think it's safe to say that today, all of these institutions are better than the alternatives. My concern, and it is only a concern because I remain a fan of these schools overall, is what the future will bring. I hope that they all will continue to uphold standards that go above and beyond what the world deems right or acceptable and prepare young people to enter the workforce as points of light.