Thursday, April 24, 2008

Awkward Silence

The idea of being still with God has been on my mind of late. When I think of being still with God, my thoughts go towards not only being still but being quiet. My idea is to work to free my mind of all the things I am thinking about and let God speak to me. Now, I don't think I'm going to hear this booming voice and rays of sunshine but I do think, over time, that simply clearing my head may help guide me to a better understanding of what God wants for me or maybe what I need to be doing for God.

This isn't a very concrete idea which may be part of the reason it's hard for me and maybe others to grasp. It's also difficult to be quiet sometimes. Have you even been in a conversation or class where there was a moment of silence? You can almost feel people wanting to speak up just to break the silence...something must be said. Rick's blog recently referred to a mantra I have heard used that we should speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent. I think some of our traditions, our rules and our judgments have come because people have a hard time being silent so when the Bible is silent, someone feels the need to fill the silence with their ideas.

I don't know where I'm going with this other than wanting to explore more into the idea of being quiet, being silent in the presence of God and to hear what He wants me to hear. Maybe it will only be a time to free my mind of my thoughts and my desires. Maybe He will lead me to a thought. Maybe I'll hear a booming voice and see rays of sunshine. Whatever the case may be, I hope to try it and see what I learn from it. Maybe there will be more on this later.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

In our culture, we are terrified of silence. We have to have the TV on for "background noise." We have to have an IPod playing in our ear. People are afraid of silence. Why? Because it is in silence that we come to grips with who we are. And many people do not like what is revealed in their silence.

Melissa Taylor said...

I think that the problem with silence sometimes is that if it's silent, people think that there must be something wrong! This has been something that I have struggled with my whole adult life - trying to be still and know that I am God. And, like Rick mentioned, will I like what is revealed in that silence? Not always...not often.