Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thankful #3

One of my favorite songs we used to sing at church went something like "count your blessings, name them one by one, count your blessings see what God has done..."

Today I'm thankful for all the things I take for granted. I'm thankful for the health I have and the health of my family. I'm thankful for the air I breathe and the beauty around me. You get the idea. I think if we really counted all the things we could be thankful for and named them one by one, it would take our waking hours.

I take far too much for granted. I know my life could change dramatically in an instant. I was at a baseball game Monday night where one of the players chasing a foul ball went face first into a brick wall. The sound made my stomach turn. I don't know what has happened with the young man but while I stood there praying for him, I couldn't help but wonder if he would be paralyzed or dying. In the blink of an eye, his life and the life of his family may have been changed forever.

Today I thank God for so many things, big and small. I hope I will be more and more aware of the great things I have in my life and around me and take time to appreciate them more.

No comments: