Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Have You Moved Your Cheese?

The title of a popular book about handling change relates to some mice and "little people" who have to change their way of thinking and acting to keep finding their cheese. I don't know many people who get excited about change and even when there is some level of excitement, there is some level of trepidation also. We can convince ourselves that the rut we live in is better than the smooth road we could be on because we have to go over some bumps to get there.

Yesterday was one of those days for me. I was preparing for some changes, excited by the prospects of what will come with it but also dealing with some level of concern, some level of fear even, about what I have to do to get to the point I'm excited about. There's some comfort in doing what I've always done.

Our lives are like that. Physically, mentally, spiritually...change can cause us to hesitate, to worry, to see the negative. Not all change is good and not all things should be changed. There is some level of study or maybe common sense that goes into a decision to make a change but when it is something that will be good for you, why the hesitation? We get comfortable with our life, with our relationships, with God. We get comfortable and we too often fail to see that something better is out there. We overlook what can be exciting in our life, we overlook the specialness of our relationships and we overlook how much closer we can be to God.

In all the changes I go through, I will pray that the Lord walks with me, that He will encourage me and that He will comfort me.

No comments: